On April 29, 1860, flames gutted the Liverpool Sailors' Home, claiming two lives.
Fireman Robert Hardaker plunged 40 feet to his death when a ladder snapped, while a seaman, Joseph Clark, died saving books and papers.
Hardaker had scaled the ladder to break out windows, according to the April 30 edition of The Daily Post.
"The water pressure around Canning Place was unexpectedly low so the water jets could not reach roof height and the iron frames of the windows, with their small panels, also prevented firemen from getting water to the seat of the flames," according to an online history.
Residents on the sixth floor broke through iron window frames and crawled along a ledge to reach fire brigade ladders.
The cause of the blaze was thought to be careless smoking.